Friday, March 31, 2023

CDOTD 3/31/2023

 Miya Masaoka/Tom Nunn/Gino Robar: Crepuscular Music (Rastascan)

Traded (I think) with Gino Robair for a copy


I mentioned in a previous post that I don't often go back and listen to free improvisation recordings often. Or at least, let me clarify: I certainly put one on now and then, and I'll listen to some multiple times. I return to this one every once in a while.

I've played with all three of these musicians, sort of. I say that because I was in an ensemble (run by Gino) along with Miya, but had no interaction with her. I've played with Gino multiple times, but not for many years, which is on me. I have done very little playing outside my immediate region for many years.

I played aa gig with Tom once, in addition to an afternoon hang session. Sweet guy, and very creative. He's credited here with playing "Bug & Baboon". Tom was an improvisational instrument builder. On the improv gig we played, I think he brought the Crustacean. It was a sheet of aluminum with various rods welded to it, suspended on balloons and with a contact mic for amplification. A simple device but interesting and evocative. The range of sounds it could produce, through a variety of methods, was wide. I got to see and play several of his instruments when I was hanging out at his house. He showed me what he said was one one of his favorites, which was nothing more than a threaded rod, maybe 6" in length, with a slight bend in the middle. He proceeded to roll it, stroke it with a metal beater, and again the variety of sounds he produced was amazing for such a simple thing.

Tom died fairly recently. A year ago, two years ago? I'm finding it difficult to determine when. 

There are too few recordings of Tom available, and this is a good one. I assume this was a one-off performance by friends who played with each other in various configurations over the years. Even at its busiest, there's a wonderful sense of restraint to the music. Everyone sounds engaged, not pushing things too hard, listening. I know with Miya involved, playing primarily koto, it's easy to say this has an Asian flavor to it. I might have thought so anyway. Space is the essence. There are pitches, notes, but it's not melodically driven; rhythms and percussive sounds are of greater importance. 

Much of the time, I can't pick out who is playing what. It's something I enjoy about a good improvisation set. The percussive nature of all of the instruments lends itself to that. That said, I like the idea that there's a group sound and identity that arises out of the combination of people. I'm happy for the aural document, but it must have been amazing to witness.


PS/Addendum: Trump was indicted yesterday. I felt brief elation, then resignation as the bullshit was flying fast and furious from that moment until now. I saw Eddie Pepitone do standup last night, and he destroyed. Amazing. It felt good to laugh so much. But I've come down. I taught this morning, or at least I tried to. Half my students skipped class and I found it nearly impossible to get responses from questions for those who did. I want to, again escape into a sound-world.

No comments: