Friday, February 9, 2024

Last night's dream

 I awoke from an unusually vivid dream this morning. 

It seems I was going to attend a tech fair in the Carnegie Mellon Library. When I entered the building, it was more of a big, open space. The first booth was a table full of synthesizer modules, but on electronics breadboards for cheap and easy assembly. When I asked the man at the booth what module did what, he said he was a student and didn't know.

Strangely, the event was a combination tech fair and flea market. Another booth had back issues of Fortean Times. There was an African woman running the booth. When asked how much, she said $3, like the cover price. I bought several, which I later lost.

I came to someone's office, a small space. In it, there was a sheet of plywood, about 6'X4', set up like table. I sat down in front of it, pressed my fingers to the board, and the sound of a piano came out. There were a few light pencil markings on the edge of the board to indicate different keys. There was a small white device, maybe a sensor, on the far side of the board, but otherwise it just seemed like an ordinary  plywood board. Roger Dannenberg stopped in and commented on the instrument. I found that if I pressed down several fingers and dragged them diagonally, I could bend the notes up or down.

At this point Sun Ra showed up, accompanied by June Tyson. He sat down at the plywood and played. I tried to coach him on the note-bending capability. I tried to see if there was a laptop connected, and wondered about the live playing possibilities.

Later I saw Sun Ra in an ornate hotel room. He was selling copies of a new boxed record set of unreleased recordings from the 1950s. I commented that my favorite period of his was around 1970-75, during the time of his feature film. 

There were more details, but those are now gone.

Wow. I didn't even eat anything unusual last night.









No comments: