Monday, July 22, 2024

VOTD 7/22/2024

 The Ridiculous Trio: The Ridiculous Trio Plays The Stooges (Modern Harmonic)

I think Rob Pleshar sent me a copy


I'd be envious of Rob Pleshar if he wasn't one of my best friends. If you're old school Pittsburgh/WRCT, you might remember Rob as Ralph the Wonder Llama for his radio broadcast, Spermblast. (I have to admit, when he announced the show title, I thought, can you say that on the radio?) His old Pittsburgh friend know him was Ralph as a result, something he doesn't try to squelch. 

With his band Black Bear Combo, they played on the White House lawn during the Obama administration, all in skeleton outfits. Somebody knew somebody knew Michelle, and it happened. Twice even? Something that will never happen to me. 

I have worked with Anthony Braxton. Rob told me he participated in Anthony's "100 tuba" concert event; even then they couldn't scare more than 79 players. 

Then there's this session. He gave me the original CDR, and a sticker reading "The Ridiculous Trio." Why that name? he said to the bandleader, just call it The Ridiculous Trio. I think I still have a sticker on my alto case.

And that CDR recording session wound up as this LP. I wouldn't mind someone sinking $$ into a vinyl pressing of something I've done, but I don't hold it against him. 

I enjoy the spareness of this album, even if it's produced beyond the trombone/tuba/drums lineup. Barely. Trombone and tuba are often run through distortion. It sound kazoo-like but not always in a bad way. 

The final track is the 15+ minute "We Will Fall". It's spare, lean, atmospheric. And surface pops that shouldn't be there. For such an active album, it seems like a strangely downbeat ending. But then, I do love the unexpected and contradictions.

Rob, if you should read this: I really am not jealous of you. I have it good. Okay, maybe slightly for the Obama lawn performance. But good for you for having someone put money towards this pressing. 





No comments: