Wednesday, May 22, 2024

CDOTD 5/23/2024

 Beppe Grifeo: Altri Destini (Iktius)

Acquired through trade


I know I can get obscure in my blog postings. I never want to fall into the trap of trying to like something due to its relative obscurity, nor put something down due to its popularity. The first music I really remember listening to was The Beatles. 

I write that because, who's Beppe Grifeo? I can't recall how it is he came into contact with me. This CD dates to 1998, I have another from 2000, so it would have been some time after that. This would have been the era before Facebook and Twitter (I refuse to call it X), the days of listservs and emailing lists. What details I have forgotten, the connect was made through out mutual interest in Sun Ra.

By the way: May 22 was Sun Ra's birthday (or as fans put it, Arrival Day). Marshall Allen turns 100 in a couple of days. I surely must acknowledge that.

I corresponded with Beppe a little, him in his broken English, me knowing no Italian at all. We traded CDs. There's no money in making CDs in my experience, this is the best reason to have them pressed. Being at least the year 2000 or more, Water Shed 5tet would have broken up (or nearing so) by this time. I would have played my Yoshi's (Oakland, CA) Sun Ra tribute gig, which more or less led to OPEK happening here. 

I have three of Beppe's CDs. Who knows how many of them came to the US? Whatever I sent him must be some of the only recordings of mine to land in Italy.

One of those CDs is Beppe playing a program of Sun Ra. This one is more varied: a little Sun Ra ("To a Friend"), a Walt Dickerson piece ("Astro" from his session with Sun Ra), interpretations of Ornette, McLaughlin, Coltrane, Terry Riley, and Irene Schweizer (!), plus some original Grifeo mixed in. All solo piano.

Beppe's not a particularly flashy player, though he's hardly lacking in skill. The hottest he gets is playing on Terry Riley, flashes of notes on "15/16". I get the sense that he's definitely listened to that era of jazz, late 60s free and modal jazz. 

To me, programming counts so much. Beppe sounds good here, but I'm very attracted to his choice of material. John McLaughlin's "Peace of Mind" (a Shakti piece I think) is given a relaxed reading for its 2:29 length, with some inside-the-piano playing. 

I looked up Beppe's website. The most recent gig listing was from ten years ago. Hope you're well, brother, and still playing music. 




No comments: