Wednesday, September 11, 2024

CDOTD 9/11/2024

 Hieroglyphic Being: The Red Notes (Soul Jazz)

Borrowed from the library


Hello, dear reader. 

Yes, here I am bobbing my head above ground like a game of Whack-A-Mole, appearing once in a while to write my little missives for 3-9 readers.

When I started writing to this blog regularly, it was mostly for two purposes: to make useful purpose of the rather large collection of CDs and LPs I have amassed, and for the discipline of writing regularly for its own sake. 

In the time since, I've gone back and forth as to whether this serves any real purpose otherwise. I will see an item on Facebook or Reddit and start to type a response, and sometimes I stop myself to say, "Nobody cares. Nobody cares about your opinion, and you're just adding to the immensely vast digital garbage heap."

Okay, that's a little harsh. But it's also largely true. 

So again without oversharing, I'm considering what my life is going to look like in the next several years. I've been teaching at Carnegie Mellon since 2005, always part time without the possibility of advancing to even partial full-time (there is a distinction). I'm considering my options, how long I want to stay at it. In many respects it's a great job, but I'm also tired of it. While I've made changes to the syllabi over the years, I'm still teaching the same three courses I taught nineteen years ago. Even at least one family member has asked me, "How long are you going to do that job?"

One of the things I fear for myself is staying disciplined. If I should leave the job, I know I need to develop other routines that take the place of having a regular job. That could mean writing regularly to my blog, regardless of whether it amounts to anything or not.

That's partially where my head's at. 

-----------------

As I have in the past, I will extoll the virtues of having a good public library system. I've recently checked out DVD documentaries about David Lynch (The Art Life, worth seeing particularly if you're a fan), Stan Brackage (haven't gotten to it yet), the Criterion DVD of the crazy Japanese movie House (mostly to watch the extras). A book of 500 covers to 7" singles, of which I own about five or six. I've also just read Moon Unit Zappa's Earth to Moon, and I might post some thoughts on it in a future posting. 

This CD stood out, how could I not check it out? Egyptian-style graphics, the name Hieroglyphic Being, first song title: "Youth Brainwashing and the Extremist Cults." Maybe not too subtle, but I'm on board. And I know the label a bit, Soul Jazz, mostly for its collections: New York Noise: Dance Music from the New York Underground 1977-1982; Punk 45: I'm a Mess!; Freedom Rhythm and Sound; and especially Can You Dig It? The Music and Politics of Black Action Films 1968-75. The latter, a two-CD set, has received a lot of play in this house and especially in the car.

And what of this? How can it not evoke Sun Ra? And I suppose it does while being very little like his work. The album is entirely instrumental, and relies pretty heavily on looped materials. There's a long list of instruments. Organic flutes, piano, guitar, alto sax, Hammond organ, Linn Drum, Korg Triton, etc etc. I believe in documentation, but sometimes maybe I don't need that many details. 

I don't know. There's an obsessiveness to this I like and appreciate. Every track builds up loops and is very busy, active, jittery even. But never builds in emotional intensity. Somehow, even with all of the current technology available, it sounds lo-fi in a way. 

I find one way of looking at music, that a high calling is to make music for yourself. If you don't like what anyone is doing, or feel you have something original to contribute to the world, make it. Do it. 

Yet, that doesn't mean I have to like it. I don't hate this (faint praise indeed) but I don't hear a lot of variety to it either.

Ah well. At least I didn't spend money on it. Thanks, Carnegie Library of Pittsburgh!



No comments: