Saturday, September 28, 2024

VOTD 9/28/2024

Creation Is Crucifixion: Antenna Builder | The Soldering Iron Gives Us Control (Robotic Empire)  

Record two: Live in Geneva, Switzerland May 28, 2000

Purchased through mail order


How do you react to a recording or performance in which the intention of the artists is to be unlistenable? "Good job"? "Sorry, but I totally listened to this"?

Last week I got to hang with Adam MacGregor. I will admit to being flattered by Adam in the past, who cites me as an inspiration for his more extreme musical aspirations. It's not that this recording suggests any direct influence, but that seeing Water Shed 5tet in the 90s gave him the confidence to follow his unusual musical interests.

I'm happy he would tell me so. But as with students I've taught in class who have gone on to success, I do not wish to take credit in any way. It is their work, maybe I helped push it along the way a little.

I know that in writing that, I might be slightly hypocritical and self-referential. Okay, I'll give myself a little credit.

Whatever else Creation Is Crucifixion was (an Adam project from this era), they were a tight unit. They absolutely charge through everything. The language in general is hard-hitting thrash metal with a kind of mathy-quality of fast changes, sudden tempo alterations, intense exchanges of ideas. They sound like they spent months out in a shed in the woods doing nothing by practicing, smoking, drinking Cokes and eating ramen noodles. (I know that's not actually true.) Nothing sits in your head as being catchy, nor is it meant to. They hit you hard, and by the time you feel it, they're on to the next idea. 

I think I've always been to some extent attracted to the extremes in music. Test the limits of expression. How far can you take things? Longer, shorter, quieter, louder, harder, softer, etc etc? Then reflect on those extremes or limits and learn from them.

The band is simultaneously a scalpel and a bludgeon. Cutting sharp, while at the same time knocking you over the head. I'm feeling pulverized at times. What was it like to see this band at its best? Probably overwhelming at times by the sheer density and intensity of it all. 

Permit me to share a song title or two: "School Steals the Capacity for Autonomous Action AKA Micro-Consuming Machines" or "The Allegory of the Algorithm (Or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love Mimesis)". I don't understand how they remember the titles, let alone all of the music. But I do get a sense of humor from the titles not necessarily obvious from the songs. ("Songs" being loosely defined in this case.) Or anger? Both I imagine. 

And as if they didn't want to frustrate you enough, there are times when someone (possibly Adam) speaks quietly in a near-monotone for several minutes between songs, longer than some of the pieces themselves. No musician credits are provided. Based on looking over discogs.com, this was their practice. An anonymous collective, perhaps. No faces, no names, all confrontation.

And wouldn't you know it? The final track ends on a lock groove. It sounded like they stuck to a groove more than usual. 



No comments: