Thursday, April 6, 2023

CDOTD 4/06/2023

 MB: Mental Machination Musing (Red Light Sound)

Purchased through mail order


Another Maurizio Bianchi album. As if my self-centered written blatherings on this blog weren't enough, it's the third disc in two days by MB on here. I'll make it shorter.

The title: pretty obvious play on Lou Reed's Metal Machine Music. Consider it a distant second cousin to that album.

The dedication: to Pierpaolo Zoppo (Ronzero), who died 2012. This was recorded after his death. Pierpaolo most (in)famously (but never crediting himself by name, I think) recorded as power electronics group Mauthausen Orchestra. The topics generally had to do with extreme perversions and Nazism. I wrote yesterday about not knowing which PE groups were genuine fascists and which did things for shock value. Mauthausen Orchestra? I don't know.

The music/sound: while digital in production and recording, this comes closer to a classic era style MB albums than the two I mentioned yesterday. It's four tracks lasting about an hour, each with a similar sort of noisy ambient sound. Sources are smeared in a haze of delay and reverb. Notes/tones arise, but there's a constant sheen of noise blended in. The four tracks cover Pierpaolo's life: "1963-1981" "1982-1986" "1987-1996" "1997-2012". From what I can figure out, the first is pre-Mauthausen Orchestra, the second the MO years, the third his retirement years, the final a return to MO until his death.

According to the notes: "Tenebrous sounds and murky pictures by MB". Unusually direct for him. 

Reflecting his recent Jehovah's Witness faith, MB includes a biblical quote: "...whereas you do not know what your life will be tomorrow. For you are a mist appearing for a little while and then disappearing." (James 4:14) 

I'm irreligious, but that's a good quote. You can speak it of me when I'm gone. It also seems to align with my birthday, 4/14.



No comments: