Saturday, April 29, 2023

VOTD 4/29/2023

 Gnaw Their Tongues: All the Dread Magnificence of Perversity (Burning World)

Purchased at The Attic


I've been entering enough blog posts that I know I'm repeating myself from time to time. One thing I'll repeat here: I'm alone in the house, which always makes it a good time to pull out the more extreme recordings in my collection. 

Don't get me wrong. I can listen to whatever I want when my wife is around the house. In some cases, it's just easier not to have to explain things, especially when it's at a certain volume.

Gnaw Their Tongues was another name passed on to me from Adam MacGregor, when I asked for severe listening after the Trump presidential election. At least, I think it's one thing he suggested. There's a current bad named simply Gnaw with Alan Dubin, Khanate's harrowing vocalist, so it wouldn't surprise me if I got it wrong.

Severe it is, though. It's kind of metal I suppose, if you are broad in your definition of what metal is. And maybe the labeling doesn't matter particularly. GTT is consistently a huge wall of noise, with details emerging from the din: heavy bass, pounding drums, sometimes string-like synths, screeching vocals, often in a deep haze of heavy reverb. It's a single person studio project of Mories, AKA Maurice De Jong. (I've read that there have been live performances in more recent years.) He has other projects under other names, which I haven't yet checked out. Surely it can't be as noise-laden as this?

When I read titles such as "My Orifices Await Ravaging", "Rife With Deep Teeth Marks", or "Gazing at Me Through Tears of Urine" well, I just can't take it too seriously. At least the sonic destructiveness approaches living up to those titles. 

Between the house being empty except for me, a frustrating semester ending yesterday (with students still attempting to submit work more than a day past the hard-and-fast final due date), and taking in the sweetness of Dvorák yesterday, I needed a little noise. This is more than a little noise.



No comments: