Saturday, April 22, 2023

VOTD 4/22/2023 #2

 Arthur Honegger: Piano Music (Turnabout)

Purchased at Jerry's Records dollar sale


Some short passing thoughts....

I've considered writing some piano music, I've even sketched a few things out. I'm perfectly happy working largely in a jazz idiom, creating compositions in which the life of the work is in the improvisation, not on what's on the page. Sometimes I walk through the stacks at the library, and contemplate how much chamber music has been written that isn't getting played, and I wonder about why I would want to add to that.

Still, I may still take on the idea. Giving myself time, but not too much. I can be an awful procrastinator, and I could put it off until it never gets completed.

Honegger. His music is pushing up against the very idea of tonality. The music at times reminds me of Debussy. Speaking of which, I bought two box sets of Debussy piano music at the dollar sale too, so they'll be coming up.

I'm once again trying to pick up after myself as I have this on, and the time passes faster.



No comments: