Tuesday, October 25, 2022

Briefly, about Anton Fier

In my previous post here, I mentioned Anton Fier's death in a larger statement about Pharoah Sanders. Now I've read that his death was an assisted suicide, done in Switzerland. 

I've been getting small pieces of information about Anton's later life. It was filled with frustrations, financial problems, recovery from alcoholism, and physical difficulties. 

Were his physical challenges terminal? I don't know, I've not read anything to indicate that. He does seem to have become increasingly despondent and possibly isolated.

I support the principle of doctor-assisted suicide. If one is faced with a terminal condition, with months of terrible pain and loss of facilities, and no hope of recovery or cure, yes. I think you have the right to check out early.

Does Anton qualify? It sounds to me like a different situation. I'm not passing judgment on his decision (and it clearly was a decision on his part, having to make the necessary arrangements and fly to Europe to have it done). 

Or am I judging? Was his life so unbearable? I've known two people who committed suicide in the past several years. But in their cases, they were both dealing with severe mental health issues that eventually grew out of their control. Neither bought a one way ticket to Zürich to have a procedure done to them.

 I just don't know. Take care of yourselves friends, know that you have value.

No comments: