Monday, January 2, 2023

VOTD 1/2/2023

 Spine Scavenger: Weighted Ghost (Cylindrical Habitat Modules)

Purchased from Jerry's Records


So here I am again at my laptop, dear reader. Today I've been creating an arrangement of Frank Zappa's "Chunga's Revenge" for OPEK. It's an easy piece, though transcribing it is not made easier by the larger ensemble recording posted to Youtube (from the most recent box set Waka/Wazoo). It's not exactly the right speed/pitch, and even drifts lower and slower before the end of the recording. Maybe I'll skip that purchase. Who knows if I'll get the arrangement played? We have a gig at Con Alma on Feb. 4, stretching the limits of that stage.

I wanted to clear my head with something not so melodic or even nice. I'm something of an old school industrial fan and even power electronics fan. I suppose it's bit of a guilty pleasure. I mean, here I am, teaching at a music conservatory, university trained in performance and education, and I still like abrasive, primitive noisemakers. Go figure.

Spine Scavenger isn't quite those things, more minimal synth sound creation. It's plenty noisy at times, sometimes droney, generally slowly evolving. I wrote the other day about knowing on sight at one time if a record interested me or not; I think I knew this one would be for me on sight. Silk screen cover, credit is synthesizer and tape FX. Okay. 

Spine Scavenger is Aaron Dilloway only. I know very little about Aaron, other than he's one of these guys who was releasing music on cassette before the cassette resurgence of a few years back. He also releases a lot of recordings under a lot of names (with other people I guess). I'll check out more at some point, though part of the reason for writing these blog posts is to make myself listen to the albums that I already have on hand.



No comments: