Friday, January 6, 2023

VOTD 1/6/2023

 Etron Fou Leloublan: En Public Aux Étas-Unis d'Amérique (Celluloid)

Purchased new, where? Possibly Tower Records (New York)


Walking past my racks of records today, this stood out and I figured it was as good as anything to spin today. I spent a lot of time in the 80s/early 90s listening to this live LP, and the three studio albums that followed.

Was it Frank Zappa who said, writing about music is like dancing about architecture? Probably not, though it's the sort of acerbic thing he could have said. I can't say I completely agree with the statement, though it is difficult to find the words to describe what this band does. Let's first say that they're in an early trio configuration here: bass/vocals, saxophone, and drums/saxophone. Sound like a familiar lineup to you? This group was definitely an inspiration for my own trio configurations, even if the music is significantly different. 

I lived in Baltimore for two years, 1988-1990. Craving to put something together, I placed an ad in the personals section of the Baltimore City Paper looking to put together a trio based on this group and V-Effect (essentially the same instrumentation). I didn't get anywhere putting a band together, but I was contacted by an existing local band (Instant Siberia, what an 80s band name) that kept me playing most of the time I lived there. I didn't feel close to the music of that band, but they kept me active.

Back to this band's music, how to describe it? Shades of Captain Beefheart I suppose, but drain that music of all blues and substitute a French sense of humor. The music alternatively twists/jerks and grooves. The group is largely centered on Ferdinand Richard's often chord-strumming bass. There is a brief work, specifically for solo drums by Gigou Chenevier (what a name!), and a brief reference to Beethoven's "Für Elise." 

What's evident from this album is that this was a great band live. I assume there's a bit of editing here and there, but the results here sound great. Considering this was recorded in November 1979, I wonder what people thought of the music at that time?

The group would augment to a quartet with the addition of Jo Thirion on keyboard for the next two albums, my favorite being Les Sillons De La Terre of 1984. They also act as the backing band on the first side of Fred Frith's Speechless, his followup to the amazing Gravity on Ralph Records. 




No comments: